Can I Receive Funding For My Care?

If you are considering getting care at home for yourself or a loved one, I’m sure by now you are aware that it can be expensive (Here’s why).

However, there are various funding options and benefits available that can help you reduce or completely remove the cost!

Hertfordshire County Council (Or whichever Council is local to you) might contribute to the overall cost of your home care once they have paid you a visit to assess your needs.

Once approved, they will contribute a decided amount to the weekly costs of your care package, taking into account your salary, savings, possessions, pensions, benefits etc.

In short, the more money/assets you have, the more you need to contribute to your care, and vice versa.

There are 3 main threshold groups with County Council's:

  1. £23,250+ For example, say your overall capital (what you own) adds up to £23,250+, you will have to pay for the home care service in full

  2. £14,250 - £23,250 If your overall capital adds up between £14,250 - £23,250, the council will contribute some of the money required.

  3. £14,250 or less If you have less than £14,250, your local council will pay the full cost of your care, however, they will still take into account your income.

(Book Needs Assessment with Local Council)

The NHS Continuing Healthcare (aka: NHS CHC) is a fully-funded care package for individuals over the age of 18 who need extensive long-term care.

Unlike the council funding option, the NHS CHC is not relative to your overall financial capital instead it is decided based on the care you require (total weekly hours, various needs etc).

In order to be approved by NHS CHS, you must have a primary health need (needs mostly for your general health).

If you feel you're eligible, you can request to be assessed by your local NHS CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) as soon as possible by speaking to your local care worker or doctor.

The assessment will consist of a:

  • Review of your Care Records

  • Face-to-Face Meeting

  • Cognition Test

  • Communication Test

  • Breathing Test

  • Skin & Tissue Viability Test

If you are considered eligible after a full assessment, the NHS will cover all costs of your home care. The decided care package will be reviewed after 3 months, and then annually thereafter. If your situation/needs change, so may your eligibility for NHS funding.

(Book Needs Assessment with NHS CHC)

Alongside direct funding for your home care, you may be entitled to various Government Benefits such as:

  • Industrial Injuries Disablement (IIDB) (Up to £179 per week)

You are eligible for this benefit if you are disabled due to an accident/illness that occurred in the workplace. This benefit covers 80+ different diseases such as deafness, asthma, blindness & asbestos-related diseases (eg lung cancer, Mesothelioma, Asbestosis etc.) (Check Eligibility)

  • Pension Credit (Up to £270.58 per week)

You are eligible for pension credit if you have a low income (will be determined by assessor) and have reached your state pension age. You are still eligible for this benefit whether you're retired, have savings, or still working.

(Check Eligibility)

  • Disability Premiums (£34.35 - £131.70 a week)

This premium benefit provides you with extra money added to your other benefits such as pension credit, housing benefit, etc.

(Check Eligibility)

  1. Enhanced Disability Premium (£16.80 per week if you are single/ £24.10 per week if you are in a couple)

  2. Disability Premium (£34.35 a week if you are single and £48.95 if you are in a couple)

  3. Severe Disability Premium (£65.85 if you are a single/ £131.70 if you are in a couple)


Recent Posts

See All